Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thing 7 - Web 2.0 Communication Tools

Email is a great tool. We use it in our library as a communication tool between our different branches as well as with our patrons. It's a great tool for communication with the patrons, especially when you try to call them and their phone has been disconnected. Patron will also use it as a source to communicate on renewing their overdue items. The last thing we use it for is communicating with our different branches on if a book is missing from our collection and we cannot fill their patrons hold.

I am an active user of text messaging. I tend to only text my friends quick messages that would be a rather short phone call. I have never thought of it being used in the aspect of texting a librarian. I was at one time also an active user of IM too. As I got older, I stopped using it so much. I just didn't see the point in talking to the people I just talked to like an hour ago online again. It might just be me, but I don't see the point in the IMing of friends. It is a great idea in the aspect of having Librarians available through IM. I also use Facebook a lot. I like the way that it can keep me in touch with my friends that have moved away. I tend to use Facebook instead of sending an actual email. I will use the messaging that is available or post on someone's wall.

1 comment:

GGalles said...

Email that is read only at a computer will probably be a generational thing for awhile - next step for those of us who don't do a lot of text messaging at this point seems to be to email to a person's phone, but I have seen indications that high school students don't spend much time with email.

I think librarians in academic librarians are doing some great things with tools such as Moodle and IM - students can get help from the dorm or home.

I'd like to see a statewide "Ask the Librarian" for K-12 students. People could take turns responding during the evening hours.